Old January 1st 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default Quick charger vs Slow: Which last longer NiMH batteries?

Mark Thomas wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
It is logical that faster chargers will shorten battery life. However,
if it reduces the number of recharges by 75%, then, instead of 500
recharges, you get only 125. That's about a penny per use/charge cycle.
Why worry about it if the convenience is significant?

In my case, because it will increase the frequency of failures, and the
number of times you run into battery problems in the field. Why not
just organise your battery usage so that you can afford the longer time?
Using low-self-discharge batteries, there is no reason why you can't
always have at least one set pre-charged and ready to go.

I lament this society where speed and disposability are the priorities..
(O:

As do I, but I recognize that time if of the essence to some.
When it comes to things like electric cars, a quick recharge is a very
important aspect of the projected usage. To me, waiting 3 hours for my
batteries to recharge isn't a burden, since I keep disposable batteries
handy for emergencies. For a professional in the field, a quick
recharge ability might be more significant.