Old December 31st 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

Default Quick charger vs Slow: Which last longer NiMH batteries?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:07:05 -0800 (PST),
wrote in
:

"Mike S." wrote in message news:gjfqsv

FWIW I've retrieved hotter batteries from some poorly-designed 1 hour
chargers than well-designed 15-minute chargers.

That is interesting. Did you charge the same set of batteries in the 1-
hour and 15-minutes chargers?

Yep.

I would presume the higher the charging current, the hotter the
batteries, but all batteries will generate a lot of heat if you keep
the high charging current going after the battery is full because the
input energy has nothing else to do but to dissipate as heat.

Bingo.

Even for fast chargers, it is better if the charger can stop charging
when it has detected the fully-charged state of a battery. Better yet
if the charger has individual charging circuits for each battery so
that none of the batteries in the set will be overcharged as in
regular chargers which must charge 2 or 4 batteries at a time.

Correct.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John