Old March 19th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default tripod recommendations?

wrote

I'm looking for advice on a light weight tripod to support a 4x5 field
camera for use while hiking and traveling.

I find a Gitzo 200 Series 'Reporter' is enough for a field camera. They
have a light carbon fibre version, the aluminum one transmutes to osmium after
a few miles on the trail (trans.: It's a heavy bugger.).

I used to use a Tiltall with a Graphic View and the combination worked
very well. I don't know its weight but the Tiltall always struck me
as being pretty light.

A lot depends on how high you need the tripod to go. The less I extend the
legs on the Gitzo the more it can hold - with the legs splayed and not extended
it will hold a full-dress Sinar, though only at the right height for photos
of wildflowers.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com