Old November 10th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

Default M is for Magenta

"Mike Fields" spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet wrote:
And, after you find the bugs for them, they fix
the software and charge you for the "upgrade"
(which fixes many of the things that did not work
as advertised but introduced new ones ... Acronis
"True Image" anyone ?)

I doesn't work that way: the problems with the M8 can't be fixed in
software.

When you figure out for Leica that Bayer CFA filters are transparent to IR
(which everyoner knew all along), and you figure out for Leica that Bayer
cameras desperately need a low-pass (AA) filter (which everyone knew all
along; heck the Foveon fans have been banging that into our heads for years
now (they're right about Bayer arrays needing AA filtering, they're wrong
about Foveon or monochrome sensors not needing it)), you'll realize that you
spent US$5000 for a camera that is physically defective and simply not
repairable.

One completely and totally buck-nekked US$5000 emperor.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

mikey

"nathantw" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds like the beta testers, ahem I mean early adopters, have done a
great service for Leica while instead of charging the company a salary
they're paying the company $5000 each to test their camera. Wow, isn't
the computer age wonderful? I remember the old days when stuff was
tested before it went out the door, now companies just let their
customers do the testing for them.

wrote:
Scott W wrote:
Over the last few days it has become clear that the M8 has far too
weak
of an IR blocking filter.

And it also shows nasty streaking in some conditions with bright lights
- perhaps related?...

But Leica's damage control has swung into action:

Leica statement:

Dear Friends of Leica,

Customer feedback to us following the start of shipment of the LEICA M8
points to a performance under certain conditions that does not meet the
expectations in the Leica brand. Our technical and engineering teams
have isolated the source of these concerns and have identified
definitive solutions. Over the next two weeks we will communicate a
plan to further assure you of your investment in the LEICA M8.

We hope for your understanding and support. Please accept that I will
not be able to answer all messages in the forum personally.

Kind regards

Leica Camera AG

(
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0611/06...8statement.asp)

Sounds like a recall is looming, but I'll bet it is only "for those
customers who are experiencing problems...."

Hmm. Where's Dallas to defend his beloved?

(O;