Old May 26th 04, 03:47 PM
Michael Weinstein

Default Not happy with prints from Kodak T400CN

On 2004-05-26 06:17:25 -0400, (Phil) said:

Hi, this is my first post to this group, so Hi everyone!
I've receantly started playing around with black and white, and as I'm
travelling it's quite hard to get to a darkroom or a decent lab so
I've been trying the C41 process films. The first lot I had developed
in a 'pro' lab and was fairly happy with, but just got contact sheets
so I could later on decide which to get printed. The second lot I had
done in a normal lab and had prints done, and they were awful! There
was no tonal variation, everything was either black, white or one
shade of grey. I'm not really expreienced enough to tell from the
negatives how they'd look printed properly.
So basically, anyone got any ideas? I'm hopeing that it's just crap
prints on cheap paper, and if they were done on B&W paper by someone
who knew what they were doing they would look ok. Or maybe it's just
my inexperience at choosing subjects (mainly landscape & buildings)
and composing. Has anyone else had decent prints done from a lab or
does getting them done properly make all the difference?
Thanks in advance, Phil

My experience with all the C41 B&W films is that unless a pro lab does
the printing on b&w paper the pictures all have a sickly off color
cast. I suppose it's possible to print true black and white on color
paper in the standard lab system, but no one seems to do it.
--
Michael Weinstein | "Those who cannot remember the
Nashua, NH | past are condemned to repeat it."