Old April 4th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Nikon D200 review on CreativePro

Bill writes:

cjcampbell wrote:

Frank ess wrote:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/rev...l?cprose=daily

Seems like a nice review. Too bad he did not like the button layout,
but that, as he says several times, is extremely subjective and largely
a matter of what you are used to.

What a shock: the Nikon is noisier than the Canon at ISO 1600. Oddly,
although I use Nikons and I shoot a lot of night pictures, I have never
really found that this bothers me a lot. Possibly it is because even my
night pictures are usually no more than ISO 400. It is a habit that I
developed from the old film days, so maybe I just adjusted more easily
to Nikon.

To be honest, I've never cared much about noise levels for myself. I
usually shoot at or below 400 as well simply because it gets the best
results regardless of camera model. If you can't get a good shot at
100-400, then your technique is lacking.

:-)

Yeah, well, my technique is lacking. I can't reliably enough time the
shot to get the musicians with their heads sharp if I'm shooting at
1/4 second. So I end up shooting at high ISO a lot.

I know, I know...there are times where high ISO values are needed. But
if you came prepared, you don't need anything beyond the default setting
of 100 or 200.

I've *got* a flash, but it won't look right and it will annoy the
subjects (at 3am at an informal musician's jam session).
RKBA: http://www.dd-b.net/carry/