Old July 9th 04, 03:27 PM
Bouser

Default Wedding Flash Setup For N65/N80 and Coolpix 5700

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote in message
My brother-in-law is getting married in September. I couldn't afford to
travel to where he is at, but he agreed to pay our way if I photographed

his
wedding. I know, they always say--DON'T DO IT--but honestly enough things
have happened in my life that the fear of blowing someone's wedding

doesn't
make me shake in my boots all THAT badly (though I do want to do a good

job
of course).

Thing is, for my N80--and I may tag along an N65 as a backup (although

I'll
also have a Coolpix 5700)--I need a shoe-mounted flash. For all those
cameras I mentioned all I have is the built-in flash--not what you want

for
an occasion like this. So I've been looking into flashes.

I want to do more than just have the flash on the camera, though--for

better
results, I want it mounted off to the side or whatever.

With the N65/N80--which are the cameras (along with the N75 I'd say) that
the SB-50DX is meant to interface with--you can use them in conjunction

with
the built-in unit to boost its GN from 72 to 82. I am considering doing

that
with the SB-50DX mounted off to the left. I know direct flash is harsh,

but
I figure the SB-50DX will provide the bulk of the lighting, and the pop-up
will be more of a "fill" unit. In the past, I've noticed a tendency for
there to be shadows with off-camera flash to the left, and I'm thinking

that
the pop-up can help fill them in, but again hopefully won't be

overpowering
and make it look like total direct flash since the SB-50DX will provide

much
more lighting.

Does this sound feasible to you? Does it make sense or am I off-base?

Will this work with the Coolpix 5700 as well, using the internal &

external
together?

Note: I don't have much money to spend, so these other options I'm mulling
over may sound crazy. Hear me out.

If that isn't the way to go, I'm thinking maybe buying two older SB-15s

and
having 2 flashes--one to the left and one to the right. In that case don't
use the internal at all. I also assume that in that case the N65/N80 won't
give "Matrix" or "3D Matrix" TTL flash, but rather just conventional TTL
flash. I don't know how the Coolpix 5700 would handle that either, as it's
more "quasi-TTL" (meaning it uses a sensor in the external flash to

measure
lighting rather than actually going through-the-lens).

So I guess my questions a

(1) How does the setup vis-a-vis a single left-mounted SB-50DX--how does
that setup sound for the N65/N80 and the Coolpix 5700? Should I use the
pop-up to fill in shadows, or would that override the superiority of a
bracket-mounted flash altogether?

Not enough flash power. You'll more than likely run into situations where
the subjects are too far away (large groups) or where the unit's ability to
do fill flash is inadequate. See if you can borrow a more powerful unit.

(2) If not that, how does the two SB-15s setup sound for all 3 cameras?

(3) If not that, what do you recommend?

SB25/SB26/SB28, Metz 54MZ-3, or something head and handle that's matrix
metering compatible.

(4) Also, how important is having matrix TTL flash as opposed to regular

TTL
flash? Would I be better off, say, pairing up two Sunpak PZ4000AFs and

using
regular TTL? (You can get a PZ4000AF for much of nothing.)

Matrix balanced flash is far superior to TTL, especially when it comes to
fill flash, which TTL simply can't do easily. Beg, borrow, or steal a more
powerful flash that works with the matrix metering, set the camera to P, and
fire at will.

Tips?

The hot setup would be the N80, a 35-70 2.8D, and a Metz 54MZ-3. If you can
do it. Portra 160NC processed by a professional lab!

LRH