Old August 21st 04, 08:54 PM
Sabineellen

Mike Henley - http://www.pbase.com/image/32620513

This shot, while portraying something old, doesn't focus on any
one thing. The lighting choice is odd as it doesn't provide
contrast where it would have done some good ... statue of Mary on
the right. The stone work on the left show some nice detail and
lighting ... but not where it was really needed. I think other
parts of the same site would have given you much stronger images.

Thanks Alan. Enjoyed reading your comments - read every word of them - and
learnt some.

I'm often curious if people had taken other images and why they left them out.
In fact, Richard said that if I wanted voting on the SI then I better start
another one. Well, I wouldn't want to do that, but I would more be interested
in an SI Reject Photos gallery where the left out photos can be displayed, say
up to 5 photos, perhaps even allowing, though not requiring, a caption by their
submitter on why they were left out and a link to the one submitted to the SI
and why it was chosen. I guess people who only take one image wouldn't take
part, but those who take a bunch like I do may.

Come to think of it. What do you guys think? I'll happily take care of the
logistics such as an email to send to, simple hosting and display, and time
etc.

Now, this shot, well, my main reason in choosing it is that it's something old
as you said, but also that there is a juxtaposition between the strong,
vertical, sharp, almost incisive lines of the stone work on the left, that are
well-lit (in fact, well-lit enough that the lighting intensifies this
incisiveness), obvious and surprisingly clean (well, relatively), compared to
on the right of the madonna that has feminine, soft, peaceful and curvacious
lines, is unlit, not so obvoius, and surprisingly seemed to have suffered the
elements more that even baby jesus is black! ... (or maybe they're all in the
same state, but the lighting made the difference)... strangely though the halo
oh her head remains clean.

The madonna alone wouldn't have interested me much, the incisive lines on the
right alone wouldn't have interested me much, but the two in balance made
something of a commentary, especially with that lighting. Maybe a subtle
commentary that I read into it attracted me.

You see, I'm a little obsessive when it comes to the lines of an image and
their meaning. Here's another image I took for that mandate that maybe someone
else might've found just fine

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/192/1...4/HPIM0524.jpg

But there's something about it that neurotically unnerves me.

There's a similar image with a slight difference

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/192/1...0cropped.1.jpg

I also considered these

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/192/1...HPIM0550.1.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/192/1...4/HPIM0547.jpg