Old December 23rd 03, 01:57 AM
Dazed

says...

I'm glad you could stretch and get the A80, IMHO the swivel screen is worth
a lot, and 4mp will keep you happy for a good while, too.

It got the A80 delivered around Monday afternoon (which was pretty fast)
and had a play with it for an hour (just to make sure it works ),
before putting it away for xmas.

First thoughts were that it's a lot smaller than it looks in the
pictures I'd seen, my hand is quite a bit bigger than it. I took about
110 pictures and a couple of movies, about 1/2 of them were blurry or
blown out due to me trying out the different settings, subjects moving
or me wobbling. That and preferring to disable the flash.

I found a lot of images had a yellow cast on them - I think this was due
to the lamps in the house, changing the lighting setting seemed to help.
It was hard to get decent pictures of the dog leaping about even in
'sports' mode, I guess the plethora of manual settings will allay that.

I was disappointed with the LCD initially as I felt it was tiny, but
after staring at it quite a bit, it seems substantial once again - one
point to note is to rotate and close it when using the viewfinder, I
left nose prints on it! I did find it hard to review the picture quality
at first - until I used the digital zoom, the composite TV out also
worked well.

Anyway - the best photo I managed to take was of a Jack Daniel's bottle
in-front of a lamp. I took it using the macro mode and manually focusing
(though I may have knocked the AF thing after?), I put it at ISO 400 and
according to Exif the shutter was 1/80 and aperture 3.2.

www.dazed.dsl.pipex.com/JD.jpg

I have noticed a few hot pixels on some photos in areas of dark contrast
though. I also tried out some new webcam software on it, I got it to
take a picture using 'remote control', but then it repeatedly flashed
the AF assist light at me for about 1 minute after.

--
Dazed

Remove 'NOSPAMX' to reply by E-Mail.