Old February 20th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearer than the scan

In article ,
"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote:

On 19 Feb 2006 16:43:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Scott W"
wrote:
If you want a good test
of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.

I've scanned old photos at 600dpi. The limitations of the film become
apparent at the scale - very few are well-focussed. There will also be a
fair amount of scattering which will reduce the apparent sharpness.
Scanning pre-WW2 stamps will also make a good test subject - before the
Postal Bureau started printing their low-res offset litho stamps.