Old June 9th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Default low light movie works better than low light still photos why?

Brian wrote:
I have a Fujifilm S8000 camera and find it difficult to get a good
exposure when photographing in low lighting conditions such as
photographing someone on stage but if I use the movie clip mode on the
camera the exposure is good....why is that? Is there any way of
getting a better exposure when photograping in low light conditions?
If the ISO level is too high then the photo will be grainy. I'd be
happy if I could make 6 x 4 inch prints of the low light photos
without them looking too grainy.

Regards Brian

Two effects:

1 - Still image: 8.3MP, video image: 0.3MP, so each "pixel" can capture
some 27 times as much light.

2 - viewing a "movie" your eye will integrate out the noise (grain). Try
looking at a still from a movie taken in low-light conditions.

David