Old May 24th 15, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default scanning old negatives

Phillip Helbig:
Does it appear possible that re-scanning the film in higher resolution
would produce better results? (Of course one can scan it in arbitrarily
high resolution and produce arbitrarily large JPEG files....

When I compare the JPEG files on a computer screen, those from the K10D
definitely look better....

What resolution do people recommend for ISO200 film? What would be the
resulting JPEG size?

First off, if you are concerned about quality, scan to TIFF, not to
JPEG. JPEGs are the last step in the process--you use high-quality
software such as Photoshop to convert to JPEG before you post to the
web.

I would scan 4x6 prints at 1200 ppi. The resulting digital image will
be 4800x7200 pixels. That allows for easy retouching and gives you the
resolution you need to crop and resize if you decide to print the
photo. You *could* print such a scan at up to 20x30 in. and get decent
quality. Chances are you will print smaller than that and get excellent
quality.

Please see
http://www.scanyourentirelife.com/dp...your-paper-pho
tographs/ and
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/image-resolution/ and
also do your own search for all of these terms: "scan," "resolution,"
and "pixel dimensions."

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm