Old January 23rd 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro L IS: Depth of field chart wanted

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:09:10 -0500, Don Tuttle wrote:
: I have found a depth of field chart for the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
: lens but have been unable to find one for the Image Stabilization
: version of this lens. Would DOF of these lenses be the same? If not, I
: would appreciate it if someone can direct me to it. Thanks.

The DOF chart reflects the theoretical resolving power of the lens at a given
distance and aperture. It assumes absolute stability of the lens. All the
image stabilizer can do is try to keep you from losing that resolving power by
compensating for lens shake that you introduce.

Note that if the camera is mounted on a stable tripod with no wind or ground
shake to make it move, you might as well turn the stabilizer off, since
there's nothing that it can do to help.

Bob