Old May 29th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default How many megapixcels equivalent to 35 mm in quality

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:51:29 +0000, Aaron Kuperman wrote:

How many megapixels does a digital camera need to produce an 8" by 10"
print equivalent in quality to what one would get from a 35 mm camera
(or for that matter a larger format) shooting a top of the run film,
such as a major brand 100-125 ASA color (or black and white) film.

If your criteria is printing an 8x10 - about 2mp suffices, IMHO. If you're
actually querying about matching 35mm you'll get a bunch of answers, most
of which will probably range from around 8mp to 20mp.

The bottom line, if I replace a film camera with a digital, and want the
same quality enlargements, am I talking about the current models now
available (costing perhaps $500 to a bit over $1000), typically with
roughly 10 MP, or am I talking about something not designed for other
than professional use such as the $8000 Canon with 21 mp, or perhpas
something yet to be invented.