Old November 17th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.misc
Neil Harrington

Default DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

"SMS ???. ?" wrote in message
Troglodyte wrote:

I see you made no mention of the small sensor size of P&S cameras.
Otherwise I would agree with everything you said. I would rather have a
Nikon P&S with the swiveling LCD viewfinder than a DSLR any day but first
it has to match a DSLR image quality and due to the smaller sensor it
doesn't.

I love those swiveling LCDs like on the old Canon G series. Too bad Canon
dropped them on the G7 and G9, as well as worsening the lens and not
making it wide angle.

Yep, I love 'em on my Nikon Coolpix 8xxx cameras too. And Nikon no longer
makes cameras like those either, looks like they never will again.

On my G2 I used some of those conversion lenses, with the adapter tube,
but the reality is that those adapter lenses are not good quality (they
vary from poor, to barely acceptable), plus it's a real pain to deal with
screwing on the adapter tube, removing and storing the ring that has to
come off the camera to install the tube, then screwing the conversion lens
onto the tube. Before I had a D-SLR, when I needed the longer or wider
zooms I simply used by film SLR (EOS-5 QD), as it's so much more
convenient to swap lenses on a bayonet mount. You can swap an SLR lens in
a few seconds, while the conversion lenses take a lot longer to install
and remove.

Agreed. I only have a couple of Nikon's conversion lenses, haven't yet used
'em enough to really tell how good they are, though they seem okay on
quickie trials. But those screw-on adapter tubes sure are a nuisance just as
you say. That's really the chief reason I *haven't* used the lenses much,
though I've owned them for some time.

Neil