Old June 15th 18, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Meaning of ISO value in digital photography?

On Jun 15, 2018, John McWilliams wrote
(in article ):

On 6/14/18 PDT 9:16 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 6/14/2018 10:26 PM, Ken Hart wrote:

Both you and the Duck are correct. It all boils down to what type of
image the photographer is looking to make. I use auto ISO when I want to
use a fixed shutter speed, and a fixed aperture. As for setting an upper
limit, there are times when a really noisy image is preferable to no
image at all. I would very much prefer a very noisy and grainy image of
the abominable snow man, to no image at all.

I've set my Canons to ISO 200 and keep it there* as I want the feedback
from aperture or shutter speed telling me when I am on the edge of
insufficient light.

* There are some exceptions!

I believe that there are going to be quite a number of exceptions. ;-)

Savageduck