Old November 21st 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default Don't hang your Nikon with one of those silly bottom straps

On 2012-11-21 07:50:53 -0800, PeterN said:

On 11/20/2012 4:35 PM, me wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:23:46 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

I believe we have at least one other BR strap user in these
photo-groups, PeterN, there are probably others.

Yes. But after reading that entire thread, I am reluctant to attach it
to the tripod socket of my D800. Last Sunday, I attached the BR to the
strap lug of the 800, because I forgot to attach the holding screw. My
guess is that since I attached the BR to the loop of the camera strap,
over time the strap will become worn. I am looking for other devices
after reading that thread.

Attaching the BR to the Nikon strap lug is probably going to be even
more risky than using it attached to the tripod mount.

Consider that the strap lug was designed to have the weight distributed
over TWO lugs not one, and it was designed to be stressed in one
direction. It was never intended to have the full weight of the camera
pulling directly against the small thread of the strap lug, which when
used with the standard strap has no pulling or extracting force applied.
All force is perpendicular to the thread, not in line with the thread.
You are likely to cause far more serious damage than by using the BR as
designed.

Look at it yourself and think it through. If you are wary about using
the BR, then revert to the standard strap, don't use a single strap lug
which was never meant to take that sort of load.
I suggest that you remove the BR from the strap lug ASAP!!

Personally I am continuing to use the BR, on my D300S attached to the
tripod mount on the MB-D10.

I had not thought that part through. However, I am looking at
alternatives. There is a setup involving twin holsters, that sit on your
waist. The cameras are also secured with over the shoulder straps.

Peter