Old November 21st 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

Default Don't hang your Nikon with one of those silly bottom straps

On 2012-11-20 09:23:46 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-11-19 22:29:54 -0800, Rich said:

One of the silliest accessories ever invented. You camera spins around
like a watch on a chain.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50315414

There has to be more to this story. I have been using a BlackRapid
strap since 2009 with a D300+MB-D10 and a D300S+MB-D10. I have never
had this sort of issue. In my case the BlackRapid strap is attached to
the MB-D10 not the camera. However I have no doubt that the D300S
frame, or tripod socket bottom plate, would not be damaged in the way
described above.

As far as being the "One of the silliest accessories ever invented." I
consider it one of the greatest. The weight of a D300S+MB-D10
(probably more weight there than a D600 or D800 without battery grip)
on a standard neck strap is literally "a pain in the neck".
When the camera isn't up at my eye it is at my hip, but I always find
myself holding the grip ready to swing it back into action. For
whatever reason I very seldom let it swing free as I always take into
account the possibility of impact with a stationary object.

The BlackRapid strap has made a day out shooting pleasurable, and I
don't have that ache in my neck and back that was always there when
using a neck strap.

I believe we have at least one other BR strap user in these
photo-groups, PeterN, there are probably others.

...and I still believe the guy with the damaged D800 in the dpforums
story hasn't told all.

I just checked the interior of my MB-D10 and there is a metal plate
supporting the tripod mount. I do not know the type of metal, but I
suspect that it is some sort of steel alloy. The BlackRapid strap has
been in constant use on this D300S + MB-D10 since January 2010. I detect
no distortion of any type.

Here is a quick snapshot (a mite bit fuzzy) of that interior of the
MB-D10, where you can see the mount and reinforcing plate.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...B-interior.JPG

I have pulled the bum out of an F5 which was mounted on a tripod and
broken a strap lug attachment point out of the F4 body (80-200 2.8 attached)

I stopped using battery bases on my D200 - became unreliable as it
distorted from tripod mounting.

Camera bodies ain't made to accommodate all things attached