Old November 29th 06, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Philip Homburg

Default That Worn-Out, Old "Film vs. Digital" Debate

In article TBbbh.15934$Uz.1518@trnddc05,
babelfish wrote:
The last time I checked, there were no camera lenses that resolve 25000 ppi.
We don't image dye clouds, but at up to a true 4096 pixels per inch or 160
lines per millimeter written by a point light source, I've never been able
to tell the difference under the best 10x loupe between an original and an
LVT and neither have any of my customers. Actually, we can't tell at less
than half that resolution. We've enlarged these films up to murals as well.
To be honest, I've never used a microscope, and there might be some
artifacting there to give it away, but if you had no original to compare it
to, what would you look for to tell you that it wasn't original camera film
if original view camera lenses aren't any sharper than what this process can
yield?

There is a good chance that if you scan it at a very high resolution,
there will be evidence of that 4096 ppi in the frequency domain (but
there are probably a number of other statistical correlation techniques
that allow you to find patterns that result from the digital imaging
system).

The issue is not whether the original is sharper, but whether you can
hide artifacts from your digital system in the noise. This assumes of
course that somebody really sets out to prove that it is a forgery.