Old October 9th 20, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Let me guess; 20 years for a sensor to appear from this?

On 2020-10-08 20:10, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 08:43:53 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2020-10-05 22:15, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 19:39:32 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2020-10-05 18:58, RichA wrote:
https://www.osa-opn.org/home/newsroo...photodetector/

Or none at all. It's a long way from the lab to a commercially viable
product.

Do you remember when lasers were 'an invention looking for an
application'?

The earliest patent applications note various potential uses so you'll
need a different analogy.

It's not an analogy. Its a quote. I quoted from memory but according
to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser "When lasers were
invented in 1960, they were called "a solution looking for a
problem".[75]".

Quoting an patty or ignorance position from 1960 when, in 1959,
practical uses for lasers had already been proposed amidst patent
applications, doesn't fly very much.

Wikipedia is fantastic, but cherry picking data from it is not wise.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."