Old May 16th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Help w/film holder dimensions

On 5/16/2009 12:08 PM John J spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So does anyone out there have a link to a reliable source of film holder
information--or maybe even a real paper book that they could copy this
info out of?

David, this is the best information I've found to date. I cannot find
the original ANSI document anywhere.

http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html

That's the same page I gave a link to. (He has a link--an incorrect one
that needs to be trimmed back to work--to the ANSI site with the
standards documents, but the information isn't free.)

I wrote the person who put that page up, and received a very quick reply:

A lot of the standards are just that-just manufacturing
guidlines-there were so many differant manufacturers that a lot of
them just made holders to fit their own cameras to eliminate
competition-just design your camera around the holders you have-Good
luck on your project!

Not exactly the response I was hoping for. I mean, if there are
standards, doesn't that mean that manufacturers are 'spozed to follow them?

In any case, since the discrepancy is in the exposure opening, I can
simply make the opening the size given in the specification, which is
larger than my holders' openings; no harm, no foul. That way, if I ever
do get other holders that follow the spec, they'll work too.