Old December 7th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.misc
David J. Littleboy

Default DSLR vs P&S a replay of Film vs Digital?

"Chris Malcolm" wrote:

On Dec 6, 4:42 am, AndrewR wrote:

30 to 40 degrees is about the average FOV in any viewfinder. For a 40
degree FOV
(let's pick a larger display just to appease those with poor vision)
with 2.6
seconds of arc detail, a 1024x768 (786k) display would be beyond the
average
person's perception. Quite frankly I find even that isn't necessary. I
have been
using a 123k pixel display (30 degree FOV) for over 5 years, using the
finely
pixelated image to a great advantage. Using it as a full area
micro-prism screen
I am able to focus faster and quicker with the lower resolution than I
could if
it was higher resolution.

[ScottW's sensible stuff snipped]

With an approx 30 degree field of view of
my 1280x1024 monitor as I sit typing here I can see the individual
pixels. I also note that the .25MP EVF of my R1 can do a double size
zoom image jump when using manual focus to aid focussing. Strange that
engineers would bother putting in a facility which is (according to
Scott) beyond the biophysical capability of human vision to exploit.

That wasn't ScottW, that was AndrewR who wrote that.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan