Old October 14th 04, 10:47 PM
Jim

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:50:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net wrote:

That explains some. I still can't see these posts on my ISP but they're
there when I search them.
I tried to send this below to your Email but it came back:

Something must be misconfigured in OE. This is a real address that is not
munged at all. I've never used OE so I can't help you here.

I replied to your post but wanted to say thanks personally. You were a

big
help. I have many more questions to ask the group in time once I figure

out
how to find them if I don't sign in for a couple days etc. And if I can't
find the answers when I print the entire manual that is on the CD that

came
w/ my coolpix 3200. I want to learn this stuff but it's frustrating too.

will get the hang of it all. Biggest issue now is the lag time. I wanted

take a band playing shot and by the time the picture went took - he was
turned around. Same w/ dog shots - can't keep him posed long enough for
camera to take the picture (Used to 35mm instant I guess). Also need to
learn how to shrink so I can Email. I send to people and they can't open.
Again, this may all be in the manual that I plan on printing and reading.
Jim

You shouldn't have to print the manual off the CD. Unless Nikon has

changed
something this should be just a PDF copy of the printed manual you get

with
the camera.

Lag is an issue with P&S digicams. You can't compare to film SLR's, it's

an
apple & oranges comparison. You can check the review on
http://www.dpreview.com for how bad it is. That said however, there are
things you can do to help minimize the lag:

1. Turn off continuous auto focus. This will require you not to use the
fully automatic mode and at least switch to using programmed mode if
possible. I couldn't find a manual for it on the Nikon USA site.

2. Look at the auto focus area modes, turn to off if possible (5700

trick).

3. Pre-focus by half pressing shutter release button. Also try setting
infinity focus.

4. Try turning the LCD off.

For shrinking, ie resizing images, probably the easiest tool for a

beginner
is one of the best free tools out there, Irfanview, available at:
http://www.irfanview.com Be sure to get the plugins as well.
Also easy batch resizining/resampling of whole groups or directroies of
photos.
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Thank you. I will try everything you said. The half shutter down is what
gets me - I push half way to focus and then all the way - by that time the
"car" has passed, the "band" has changed positions or the "dog" has moved.
Tried it on a coaster (Nitro at Six Flags) from 230' and by the time it took
the shoot we were doing 90 MPH so it didn't look good. I tried to get it at
the top when the car is barley moving.
I printed the manual from the CD today. It's a SUPER detailed manual with
all kinds of neat stuff. Nothing on this CD is anything that is in the book.
I printed so I could read and try rather then jump back and forth between CD
and camera. Also because the eyes are going I think. Easier to read printed
then on the PC screen. This manual has trouble shooting, uninstall /
install, advanced tricks for using the software to fix up pictures, advanced
details on how to save / copy / print/ Email, burn to CD you name it. Even
how to organize. It looks like a Nikon 3200 bible. If I read and learn
this - I may actually be able to answer someone else's question. At least
for a Nikon 3200. I'm sure a pro would tell me this stuff is for beginners
compared to what is out there but it's a start. If I enjoy this as a hobby
as I think I will, I will ask for help on what products to buy / use from
camera to software.
Jim