Old August 13th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
Bob Williams

Default Maximum tele length you can shoot handheld?

RPS wrote:
What is the maximum telephoto length you would be comfortable shooting
handheld, with IS as well as steadying your arm with elbow on a railing
etc, but no tripod? Thanks.

Depends on the amount of light available as well as the f-stop and
shutter speed needed for proper exposure.
My Panasonic FZ15 has a Tele FL of 432mm (equivalent) and an aperture of
2.8 at full Tele.!!!
On a sunny day, with proper shooting technique (steadying my shoulder
against a tree, suspending breathing while tripping the shutter,
etc.),and using IS, I am comfortable shooting at 1/100 second.
Usually, the AUTO setting selects f=2.8 and lets me shoot at a faster
speed than that.
But in lower light conditions I'm good to go with a minimum speed of
1/100 sec. with a 432 mm FL.
Bob Williams