Old April 1st 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Default Photographing birds in flight

jmc wrote:
I've finally purchased a longer lens for my XTi - the Canon 70-300mm
DO IS ISM. Nice lens, the shorter physical length is a lot more
stable in my small hands. I have been getting some very good
pictures with this lens, so I'm quite happy with it, despite the high
cost.

I've been practicing taking pictures of birds in flight - raptors, for
the most part.

Not surprisingly, all of the ones taken with the sky as background,
came out with very dark birds. Also, for non-soaring birds, I'm
finding it very hard to follow them, and get decent pictures.

Is there a tutorial on the 'net somewheres that'll help me learn how
to take better bird action photos? How much do I compensate when the
bird is silhouetted against the sky?

Pictures where the bird's not silhouetted against the sky come out
better:

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1959314

Thanks for any advice or information!

jmc

Set the camera to manual and expose for the shadows, always assuming your
new lens has a big enough aperture to allow a fast shutter speed plus a
large aperture. You can take a spot reading on virtually anything with the
same or similar reflected light as the bird's feathers, even your hand.

This will stop the sky from affecting your exposures.