Old July 2nd 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
polly filler

Default Agfa Viradon???????

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

"polly filler" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi All,

Have just tried Agfa Viradon to try and brown tone my photograph to make
it look like an old picture
as it was taken on an old camera.
The paper used was Ilford multigrade 1V RC size 16" x 12" well washed.
The instructions said dilute at 50 -1 and immerse print for 2 to 10
minuets.
After 20 minuets nothing had happened so I increased the strenght to
1-25.
After 45 minuets still nothing had happened to the print, but the viradon
went all "murky"

Could someone please explain why my print wouldn't tone, also I tried to
tone in some sepia after but it
wouldn't sepia either. Why?????????

Thanks in advance

Some papers don't tone very well but you should have gotten some color
change. Two versions of Viradon were made: The older one was a combination
of selenium and polysulfide similar to Kodak Polytoner and the later one
was sulfide only similar to Kodak Brown Toner. The polysulfide toner works
very slowly unless heated. You might try heating the toner to about 120F.
After toning the print should be treated in a bath of sodium sulfite to
stop the toning and get rid of the yellow stain. I've found that Kodak
Hypo Clearing Agent works fine. I think this has been discontinued but
Ilford's hypo remover should work. I use the clearing agent at normal
working strength.
Polysulfide toner has the virtue of toning all densities at the same
rate so will provide considerable image protection even when only partial
toning has been done.
It has the peculiar property of toning _faster_ when diluted or partly
exhausted and if too weak can leave a peach-colored stain which is very
difficult to remove.
What kind of Sepia toner did you try?

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Hi many thanks for the reply, I used fotospeed sepia toner.
I'll try it with my dishwarmer under the tray.