Old July 25th 10, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Does anyone make ...

On 7/25/2010 9:17 AM Lawrence Akutagawa spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 7/24/2010 4:43 PM Thor Lancelot Simon spake thus:

/snip - follow the thread/

Except that the slide won't clear if you put the guides such that you
can get the film _under_ them, and the film won't stay flat if you don't,
because 120 film is much, much more flexible than either 4x5 or 35mm
film.

Are you sure about that? I'm looking at a 4x5 holder (old Graflex), and
there is a good 1/8" between the slide and the back of the holder where
the guides would go. Looks like plenty of room for some paper guides. They
only need to be about 3-4 times the thickness of the film total.

Can't guarantee how flat the film would stay, of course, but might be
worth a try.

I'll jump into this thread at this point.

My question is why all this attention to modifying the film holder to
accommodate 35mm film? As I recall from days past, there was an adapter
with which you could mount a 35mm SLR directly onto the dark slide. Such an
approach, I would think you would be having your cake and eating it at the
same time. I see that SK Grimes makes such an adapter:
http://www.skgrimes.com/thisweek/1-09-05/index.htm

and here's another for the Nikon:
http://www.zenit-camera.com/4x5-came...on_adapter.htm

Not to knock your contribution to the thread--those certainly seem
useful in some way--but this is far different from what the OP was
proposing to do (as I understand it), which was to expose a long strip
of 35mm film across the 4x5 film holder, not just a single 35mm frame
(24x36), thus creating something of a panorama.

Now, if you could get such an adapter for a Xpan (or even a Horizont),
then you might have something similar.