Old February 1st 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Ben Brugman

Default Small P&S Shutter Lag Times ?

technique. Pre-squeezing to set focus and exposure... then waiting
for the shot. Release of the shutter from this point is instantaneous.

No it is not. Recently a lot of camera's have reduced the shutterlag for
pre-squeezing (pre-focussing and ae) to about or under 1/10 of a second.
But not to long ago there where camera's which to more than 3/10 of
a second using pre-focussing (or even over a second).
The fastest I have seen is 0.06 seconds. Which is still not instantaneous,
but getting close.
I believe that the fastes DSLR now manages in 0.035 seconds.

Old SLR's used to have a shutterlag of around 0.05 seconds, fastest was
a special constructed canon with a shutterlag of 0.008 seconds.

1/10 of a second is for a lot of situations still noticeble, but it is a
real
improvement from the shutterlag of most camera's a few years ago.

ben