Old February 5th 04, 06:03 PM
Nick Zentena

Default 120 developing tank

wrote:

However, a 70 mm spiral made to fit a 220 tank would be a wonderful
thing. Now is certainly the time to bring one to market, what with the
burgeoning popularity of 70mm film...

I actually do have a 70 mm developing reel that fits a regular 120/220
tank. It came with my adjustable JOBO hand inversion daylight tank,
which I bought new in 1968. The styrene plastic spiral is adjustable
to hold 127, 35mm, 120-220, and 70 mm (!). However, it will
accommodate only five feet of film, so it has a severe limitation for
70mm.

The only new 70mm reels I know of are designed for things like Xray film.
Or maybe it's something else they aren't from a photographic supplier. The
upside is they are fairly cheap [Less then $10 US] the downside is since
they aren't from a photographic supplier they don't fit any normal light
tight tanks. That leads to either making your own tanks or working in the
dark.

Personally I picked up a couple of tanks designed for up to 116/616
film. They cost $1 each and might have never been used. I wouldn't dare
claim the up to the standard of the best reels out there but I'm sure when I
get around to actually using them they will be fine. It's a shame that Jobo
doesn't sell thier 70mm reels anymore. Even if they only held 5 feet it
would have been a lot less hassle for me.

Nick