Old February 11th 05, 05:25 PM
Sheldon

"Jason P." wrote in message
Hahaha... Canada is the second largest country on the face of the planet!
That's like saying "You're from the USA... you must be working for NASA".

You want to look at Nikon's own article on cleaning a low pass filter?

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...ted=1053089297

See the part there that says "The use of a blower-brush is not recommended
as the bristles may damage the filter ... Under no circumstances should
the filter be touched or wiped."

How does that tickle you?

They also acknowledge there are wipes and fluids available to clean the CCD,
but if you damage the sensor it will void your warranty. Think about it.
How do you think Nikon cleans the camera when you send it in? They use
wipes and fluids. You just have to be confident that you can do it
yourself, and understand the liabilities of doing this yourself. So far,
all I've had to use is a hand blower, but I'm prepared to do more, within
reason, if I have to.

This a bit like owning a car. The owner's manual will tell you to take the
car to the dealer to do pretty much anything except put gas in it. Some
people do, many people maintain their car by themselves. Obviously, most of
us would never attempt an engine overhaul, but plugs and filters are not
that difficult if you have good instructions. And yes, you could scratch
the windshield and paint if you don't know the basics of how to wash a car.

"MeMe" wrote in message
Jason P. wrote:
What I was referring to was not the Sensor Brush, but the alternative
he posted. Low pass filters are extremely fragile brush bristles of
any kind can damage the surface.

I see you are posting from Canada, which just coincidentally is the home
of visibledust.com. I'm not implying that you are a sock puppet for that
company, but it /is/ an interesting coincidence.

You say that "bristle brushes" can damage low pass sensors. You are
spreading FUD, aren't you? A hog's hair bristle brush used for oil
painting is indeed a harsh item, but we are not discussing that sort of
"bristle" brush here. We are taking about soft nylon hairs, such as may
be found in synthetic brushes.

So, now, on what basis do you state that soft nylon hairs can "damage" a
plastic filter? I'm just tickled pink that you are here, saying these
things. Please continue ...