Old December 9th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

Default Pentax k100d body, but which lens?

"Stilgar[bbs.iscabbs.com]" wrote:

I would like to get a Pentax k100d. I'm not completely sold on
getting the kit with the 18-55 lens however, and I was wondering if
anyone had information on that lens or an alternative?

Originally, I wanted to get the Pentax 50-200mm, because most of the
shots I'd like to take are wildlife shots, and my biggest complaint
about my old point and shoot is the lack of a decent zoom. That being
said, we have a baby on the way in January, and I've since realized
that most of the initial shots I'll probably be taking are indoor
Christmas shots followed by baby pictures.

Several people have told me just to buy the kit with the 18-55mm lens,
but I always thought that the lenses in the kits aren't the best
quality you can get. So I was wondering if I should get the 18-55, or
if there's a better alternative that's less than $200? I'm open to
non-Pentax lenses.

The SMC Pentax DA 16-45mm f/4 ED AL would be an excellent choice. It
is a far superior lens to the 18-55mm with excellent sharpness and
better control of rectilinear distortion.

However, it lies outside your budget. Frankly, the chance of getting
a good quality new zoom lens for a mere $200 is small. The 16-45mm
costs $409.95 at B&H.