Old May 10th 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

Default Real portability? Nikon and Pentax are working on it

On 5/10/2011 9:36 AM, Bruce wrote:
wrote:
On 5/10/2011 7:04 AM, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

Hey! Does this make you a "superzoom snob?"
:-)

No, but there is nothing wrong with singing their praises.

People who obsess about pixel densities and unquestioningly assert
that only DSLRs will do are denying themselves the opportunity to use
these outstanding cameras.

Likewise, anyone who claims that ANY camera, superzoom or not, is good
for everything is also denying reality. I've yet to see a one size fits
all solution.

True, but a good superzoom comes very close, satisfying the needs of
more people than any other camera type. Quite a few people find
superzooms intimidating, and want something smaller and/or simpler,
and a P&S is ideal for them.

P&S and superzooms together cover the needs of the vast majority of
camera users. Very few people need a DSLR, but many more people buy
them than need them. Perhaps mirrorless CSCs offer a good compromise?

Not until the Af improves. For all the hype, the AF systems (at least
the models I've tried) still can't touch SLR AF. So if you need to shoot
moving subjects you are better served by an SLR. Likewise with low
lighting situations where the larger sensors offer a huge advantage.
Combine the two, and you get high school football at night, where you
have action plus crap lighting. Luckily, I'm done with that!

Anyway, the FZ35 will see a lot of action this summer, for sure. Besides
the nice lens, the small size makes it a perfect "bike bag" camera. I
can grab it from the pouch and shoot while riding so the group doesn't
have to stop while I screw around with a camera. Works well this way, too!