Old August 21st 13, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Nora

In article ,
Neil Ellwood wrote:

So it should be clear to you that even considering the *possibility*
that Dave could actually conjure up an actual joke in his post, it is
still incorrectly written and ironically ridden with grammatical and
structural errors when writing it as a grammar flame.

Please read the original post again. It was intentionally written in that
way ( it is even quite a common joke in the UK).

Yeah, but as far as anyone ever have shown, it does not generally mix
tense. I.e. the correct usage of the joke would have been:

"pity you don't speak proper english like what me and the queen does"

For the record, the supposed missed reference here (the "like what me
and the X does" quote) is somehow completely lost to the internet. I
have no problem having missed a cultural reference (not even sure if I
could, Dave seems to be posting from the US, so any UK cultural
references should be off the radar anyway), I'm beginning to get some
doubts about the veracity of this as a cultural reference.

You are listening to the other answers in this group, Dave is NOT posting
from the US but from the UK.

Yeah, that was my mistake.

Your doubts are from your mind and not from facts.

My doubts have shown to be true, verified by Drunk Dave himself,
actually.

And doesn't use "does" as Pensive Hamster had to do in his quote of the
presumed reference. See - even when using cultural expressions, some
basic rules often apply.

It doesn't have to make grammatical sense as that is the main part of the
joke.

The "main part" of the joke is the reference to Morecambe and Wise's
catchphrase "the play what I wrote", and several versions of it. I have
yet to find any version of this catchphrase that also mixes tenses. You
are free to help me out here, of course.

I used another example in an earlier post, this is akin to writing this:

"I've lose me marbles, said the leprechaun"

Now, this catch-phrase already has whacky grammar given the "me" instead
of "my", but that doesn't mean you can change the tense of any other
words and pretend it's ok.

The point is that even if the reference has intentionally faulty
grammar, that doesn't justify you adding even more bad grammar.

--
Sandman[.net]