Old September 4th 04, 09:43 PM
Joseph Meehan

Rivergoat wrote:
I'm thinking I was right on the border of exceeding capabilities on a
recent high altitude shoot. Using a Nikon N90s with circular polarizer
and an 81B warming filter (sorry, I just can't afford a warming
polarizer just now), and the lens hood (on a 24-120 Nikon), some shots
seemed to exhibit a slight vignetting. I am assuming that's due to the
stacking? Is there a rule of thumb, should I be best off not using the
hood when I need to stack? All in all, though I still got some very
nice shots on the trip....

Best bet is to try out the combinations you have on your equipment at
the zoom you will be using.

There is a lot of difference in filters, some are thinner than others.
Some come in both normal and thin versions. Some lens hoods fit the lens
and are not affected by the filter(s) and some mount on the filter so they
are affected by the filter(s)

It would appear that you should not use the hood with the stack at a
wide angle setting. Then again under some conditions, you might experience
serious flare and you might be better off eliminating one or more filters
and stick with the lens hood.

Sorry there is no single rule.

--
Joseph E. Meehan