Old August 29th 20, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
danny burstein

Default pacemakers, was: Power camera for a lifetime on one charge. Nuclear batteries

[reposting with an updated subject line]

In geoff writes:

On 29/08/2020 6:44 pm, RichA wrote:
This would be terrific. But political busybodies and other morons
would try to stop it. Even though pacemakers have had nuclear
powered electronics for 40 years.

Err, no, no, nogity no.

There was a _short_ period in the 1970's where plutonium
powered pacemakers were, indeed, tested and installed
in patients.

And yes, they worked fine.

However, this was also the time period in which we saw
some pretty big improvements in batteries so the plutonium
units quickly went bye bye.

(There were also some pretty annoying regulatory issues
with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission).

So yeah, they were out there. But no more.