Old December 19th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MartinS

Default 2 questions about digital cameras

-hh wrote:
John Navas wrote:
MartinS wrote:
-hh wrote:

Plus some of us consider the ubiquitous and non-proprietary AA
batteries to be a feature, not a liability, as it means we're able
to reduce the proliferation of chargers and types of spares we
carry (in context of other additional electronic devices also in
use). *Its ju st a different perspective and slight shift in
personal priorities.

Plus, if your batteries run out somewhere where you can't recharge
them, you can use regular alkalines or lithium.

Agreed; I alluded to that with 'ubiquitous', but could have been more
clear.

True, but almost as easy to use an external adapter that powers the
device from external AA batteries. *I used to have one for my cell
phone. *I've considered getting one for my cameras, but went with
spare batteries instead.

That's another possibility, and while it does solve the "oops, forgot
to charge my batteries", it doesn't generally relieve the problems of
"how much stuff" is being carried.

Another factor in their favor is that even superior quality
(2000+mAhr) NiMH AA's are a good bang for the buck. I paid $15 for a
pack of 4 last month at B&H, whereas when one looks at the proprietary
camera batteries, you're often in for a royal soaking. For example,
the ~800mAh CGR-S006 battery for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 is $50
for the OEM and $28 for the 3rd party aftermarket version. And the
1400mAh BP-511A for Canon DSLR's is effectively no better: $50 and
$25. When you compare by actual power stored, the AAs are around
1/10th the cost per mAh.

Rechargeable batteries for camcorders can cost over $100, and most don't
take AAs.

--
Martin S.