Old May 27th 14, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Sony's new A7s (12mp FF) why do you need a separate "recorder"to record HD and 4K video?

On 2014.05.27, 09:44 , Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 04:26:27 UTC+1, RichA wrote:
On Monday, May 26, 2014 8:13:50 PM UTC-4, Me wrote:

On 27/05/2014 11:38 a.m., RichA wrote:

I don't get it, how can the camera not record the images it is taking??

http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fp...gb444&depth=12

Wow! So much for the SD card.

I wonder if that's why they are recording the new star wars movie on film.
well I doubt they'd be using a SD card but perhaps the data rate is just too high to be practical.

Like many movies, the D and DP (who often work together) have chosen
film - per statements I've posted here before - they are determined to
get a 'look' similar to the original movie series (eps. 4-6). The same
pair shot the most recent Star Trek on film as well.

A lot of movies and television series are still shot on film.

The choice of film over digital (or v.v.) has nothing to do with
economics. There are systems to record digital data streams at very
high rates (and redundantly too). It makes managing the whole a lot
easier and one would assume cheaper in the long run.

Yet - nobody objects to what the D and DP choose to film in. And the
second step after filming is to digitize the entire thing (or at least
the chosen rushes).

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.