Old October 14th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell[_2_]

Default Canon A610/20/30/40, A710, S3 IS + CHDK = Remote Cable Release Via USB Cable

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 14, 5:13 am, KevenGaston wrote:
More cameras originally crippled..
You can now do anything with just your P&S camera...
CHDK's motion-detection routine is even fast enough for lightning
photographs...
Something that they thought nobody would ever be able to do...
Part of Canon's "let's find ways to force people to buy
DSLRs" marketing campaign....
it doesn't get simpler than that....
Here's the page for the new S3 IS version!
any simple electronic switching circuit in existence!
a simple way to test if it's (sic) working.
just when you thought it couldn't get better it happens again!

This is like getting a new camera every week, for FREE!

The superlatives, grammar errors and rantings of a ******.

If this thing was promoted by anyone with credibility, I might have
given it a try.

I pity whoever wrote CHDK, because this turkey of a thousand
identities is going to sink it single-handed.
(well, it's just the one hand in all those socks....)

Funny, I didn't read it like that (well yes some of the statements are a
wank, but I ignored that to get to the real meat of the matter). I read it
as someone offering something FREE that will be of benefit to owners of the
relevant cameras. Admittedly it is off-topic in r.p.d.slr-systems, since the
cameras in question are all P&S but it is a useful tool none-the-less. I
didn't know of it's existence prior to this post, and when I investigated, I
discovered that CHDK would breath new life into my S2IS. Doesn't look like I
can use the remote release, but I can benefit from RAW (my main gripe with
the S2IS is it's propensity to clip highlights - yesterday's play revealed
there is a lot in the RAW that doesn't make it to JPG). I will also benefit
from things like improvements to timed exposures. I don't use the S2IS much
anymore - mainly use my DSLR, but the S2IS is handy because of it's small
size, and it does very good video, so I occasionally take it instead of the
SLR. Having improved capabilities is a big plus, so I'm saying thankyou to
the OP, not sledging him.