Old June 27th 04, 05:39 AM
street shooter

Default [SI] XXXI Critique

(Annika1980) wrote in message ...
From:
(street shooter)

Bret Douglas

http://www.pbase.com/image/30444438

Interesting aerial photo. The sense of location among the Georgia
pines is strong, but what are you saying about the culture? Is there
a reason some graves are on one side of the church and some on the
other. I don't think segregation worked quite that way (black and
white burial grounds would have been more completely seperated). I'm
not getting the cultural connection. The photo is technically very
strong, as we might well expect from Bret and the Fabulous EOS 1V!

Funny that you assumed that the photo had racial connotations, especially in
light of the fact that I took it out of a small plane over central Illinois.
Does that change the meaning at all for you?

It wasn't an assumption, so much as a question. At first, on the
thumbnail, I though it was some sort of golf course club house. I
took a guess that you photographed this image in the South, and the
South has a well-documented history of racial disparity. I thought
this might have been some kind of transitional metaphor that lay
somewhere between segregation and integration; I was wrong. I still
don't get the connection to the Mandate, but I think its a great
photograph!

Michael