Old November 24th 18, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Windows deletes Picasa

On 24/11/2018 14:05, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

How MS could release the Photo app which apparently randomly fails to
open some JPEGs is a mystery to me.

one reason would be because the jpg is non-compliant or corrupt.

Well yes, but everything else seems to open them OK. It really *is* only
photos that has troubles.

that doesn't necessarily mean microsoft photos is at fault.

some apps try to handle invalid files by guessing at what the invalid
data should have been. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

the correct thing to do is reject all files that are non-compliant or
otherwise invalid, but that tends to **** off users.

on the other hand, microsoft has a long history of *generating*
non-compliant files (usually intentionally), mostly videos, so it's
quite possible that photos has problems with certain images.

post a link to such a jpeg.

I'll try next time I find one that I can post (mostly I am working with
proprietary stuff).

what app generated the files?

I'm seeing it in all sorts of stuff. JPEGs and PNG's from Snip and from
Paint, for example.