Old August 30th 04, 12:16 AM
Jeff Edwards

Default "PC sync socket" for flash

Just bought a Voigtlander (Voigtländer) Vitomatic I rangefinder,
originally sold in the very late 1950s and very early 1960s. Several
websites say it has a pc sync socket for flash. A Google search on
"pc sync socket" did not readily reveal whether that term is a
universal standard, permitting me to use any flash described as such
on the camera. Nor did I find any information about whether any and
all inexpensive electronic flashes existed that had such a sync and/or
might work on the camera.

(By the way, I have a flash from the period that was apparently used
with the camera, an Agfalux, but while the 22.5V battery is still sold
by Radio Shack, the #5 flash bulbs are expensive enough to warrant a
CALL! in the price column of the internet's premier flash bulb
supplier. While I might like to try old flash bulbs under limited
circumstances, I'd like to make this a working indoor, as well as
outdoor, camera, at minimum expense. Which rules out flash bulbs.)

Can anyone explain whether I can use any flash unit described as
having a "pc sync socket" on this camera?

Jeff Edwards

(Please do not reply directly to my email address).