Old August 22nd 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams[_4_]

Default Panasonic FZ28 or FZ18 deleting photos

"robert" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
"robert" wrote in message
Hi

Just got a FZ28 and find I cant delete photos from the PC using the USB
connection.
Just get "write protect" message (on PC).
The SD card I am using was formatted on the camera and is not write
protected.
The delete function on the camera works as does using a card reader.

Is this normal Panasonic FZ28/FZ18 operation ?

Thanks

When transferring picture files from an SD card to the PC, in Windows Explorer
with both Panasonic Lumix and Pentax cameras, I always "move" the relevant
files, rather than "copy" them, and that automatically deletes them
on the SD card.

Perhaps I should add that I move them en bloc to a new folder on the PC, and
then afterwards delete any that I don't want to keep, from the folder on the PC.

They can of course also be deleted using the camera alone.

That doesn't answer your question directly I suppose, only questions
why you'd ever want or need to delete pictures on the camera using the
PC in the first place, unless you'd just transferred them across.

michael adams

Thanks for the comments, I would normally use move rather than copy and
delete (unless I was being paranoid) but
move still leaves the pictures on the camera.

Deleting/removing pictures via the USB connection fails however
attempted ie windows explorer or 3rd party photo management programs.

Then try reformatting the card.

I've "moved" images from around 6 different cards in a Lumix FZ7, FZ8 and a
pentax K200, using Windows Explorer - both the camera and computer auto detect
the USB once the camera is switched on, and the Windows pane is refreshed.
And it always deletes the images in the process though it leaves the empty
directories behind.

Possibly the original formatting of your card was at fault.
You might also try a different card as it never hurts to have at least
one spare at hand.

The "delete all" option on the camera menu isn't that hard to find
anyway ISTR, though I've never used it myself on any of my three.

michael adams