Old September 17th 05, 07:10 AM
David J Taylor

Pete D wrote:
"David J Taylor"

wrote in message
.uk...
RichA wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Pana...Z30/page14.asp

I would take the Panasonic FZ5 or FZ20 over a DSLR, for my own
photographic needs. If your needs include low noise at high ISO,
then the FZ30 isn't for you.

ISO 400 is hardly hi ISO, the Panasonic has high noise at low ISO and
that is very bad.

The performance of the Panasonic at ISO 400 is typical of cameras using
the smaller sensor format compared to the DSLR format - it is not "very
bad" at all. The higher noise level is a well-known trade-off. Fuji seem
to have done some work in this area which may improve usable sensitivity
by a stop or more, and it would be interesting to see the Fuji sensor
coupled with a good image-stabilised long zoom.

David