Old February 1st 05, 12:43 AM
Walt Hanks

Default {SI} My Impressions of Glass, Steel, & COncrete

In spite of the server problems, I think we had a very successful round.
There is something I enjoy in every image.

Bob Hickey: Bob, I really want to love your shot. I enjoy the architecture,
the construction, and the feel. But the exposure seems a little off (burn
those bright window frames) and I am not sure where the glass and steel are.

Alan Browne: I enjoy your use of the glass-like surface of the water to
meet the mandate. But like Bob's, I think the exposure could have been more
balanced. If you were going to lose the snow on the far shore anyway, why
not expose the guard rail properly? Very creative though.

Quercus: Very interesting. It certainly meets the mandate, and as a student
of architecture I am interested in the angles and use of steel in the
geometry of the siding. Thanks for bringing this to us.

Bowser: OK, so it's missing the concrete. Who cares. I really enjoy the
shot. It is tightly composed, properly exposed, and tells a story. Good
work!

Jim Kramer: This one still has be chuckling. Thanks.

Ken: Yes, it's a little contrived (a broken bottle on the concrete would be
believable), but I like the lines and sense of composition. It is well
exposed and well presented. Thanks!

Vic Mason: OK Vic. Please explain. This one has me a little stumped. Are
you commenting on change?

Brian: It's loading now!!! Very well done. As someone with no studio
skills, I find these shots very enticing. Good work!

Al: What can I say. The inspiration just doesn't always come. But it meets
the mandate! Thanks also for fighting the server and getting the mandate
up.

Now, regarding my own shot. I wish the weather had cooperated, but as
anyone who lives in the East knows, we haven't had a decent day in weeks, so
a boring sky was all there was. I also wish I had a PC lens, but I don't.
Still, I hope I conveyed a little of the beauty and feel of the building.
More than that, I hope that all of you are curious about what is displayed
inside. It is a remarkable place.

And, since some have asked, the planes my father helped fabricate were the
early Northrup flying wing and the Lear 23. My father and I also pit crewed
for several of the racing aircraft displayed.

--
Walt Hanks