Old June 8th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Please, why is sky washed out?

"dwight" wrote in message
"Celcius" wrote in message

"Jack Mac" wrote in message

You say your wife's point and shoot camera gets blue sky.
Why not just use her camera? Is the DSLR really worth all
the extra effort?
Jack Mac

Good question, Jack.

However, I bought a DSLR to use it and to learn photography. Otherwise,

would have bought a P&S. This is also why I come to this forum as well

as
alt.photography, rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, to learn and to seek

help
from more knowledgeable than I.

I find this pastime quite interesting. It also allowed me to work with
Photoshop (7.0, CS1 and now CS2). When I think that so many retired

people
hang around shopping centers for lack of something better to do....

Take care,

Marcel

You took the shot using an automatic exposure setting. You left it up to

the
camera to decide what was important in the picture.

I've never been pleased with the skies in my photos, using the Rebel XT in
any automatic modes. But, like you, I didn't buy the camera to point and
shoot.

My other camera has a live preview, so I was able to change shutter speed
and exposure on the fly before taking the shot. The XT doesn't give you

that
option, but "mistakes" don't cost you anything.

It's time to turn the dial from automatic to manual. Read the book and

then
set up some test shots. Play around with shutter speed and other settings

in
increments and see what happens. This is when you'll be glad that you

bought
a DSLR instead of a pocket camera.

You need to take control of this camera...

dwight
(strictly an amateur)

Dwight,
This makes sense.