Old January 28th 12, 08:15 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Yosemite in timelapse HD

On 2012-01-28 09:27:05 -0800, Mark F said:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:02:10 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

This should provide some incentive for those who have yet to experience
Yosemite, to make that trip.
http://vimeo.com/35396305

I don't understand how the meteor trails work: it seems like
meteor trails last too long. Did they:
1. photograph many more frames than were displayed and edit
to keep more frames from the brief times when trails were visible.
or
2. the field of view is so many miles that trail of a meteor
moving at perhaps 30 miles/second stay in view long enough
to look like a moving object? How far apart timewise were
the displayed frames at about 2:38? I'm bad at estimating things
and can't decide how many degrees per second things seem to be
moving. I couldn't find a technical description of the shoot.

I would say there are several things happening here.

1. The time lapse set at each location is taken over a long enough
period to include perceived movement of shadows over time, and the fact
that the cameras are not stationary. they are track mounted and move
throughout many of the sequences.

2. I have a feeling that the brain has been fooled into accepting that
all the light trails are in fact all meteor trails. I am very familiar
with Yosemite and it is located below some of the most trafficked
commercial & military aviation routes in the West. Routes between Los
Angeles and Europe pass over the area, as do routes from SFO,
Sacramento, & Fresno to and from Las Vegas, the South-West and other
Southern States. I have many shots of Yosemite in daylight where the
sky is filled with aircraft contrails. Also consider that there are
many directional changes for those captured light trails.
A check of various domestic routes show examples of Delta flights
between LA, Seattle, Portland, & Europe over flying Yosemite, as do
flights between SFO, Oakland & Atlanta.
When it comes to United Airlines they have 100's of flights between
SFO, Oakland, San Jose, Dallas, Las Vegas, Houston, Tucson, Phoenix,
Orlando, and destinations in South America, all fly over Yosemite.
That is just two of the many airlines flying similar routes.

My conclusion is, that while some brief flashes of meteor trails might
have been captured, the majority of what was seen were a mix of meteor
and mostly aircraft navigation lights, and the brain has been led to
believe it had seen nothing but meteor trails.

Savageduck