Old April 20th 17, 10:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig[_2_]

Default Film scanners?

I moved to SLR digital photography in 2008 (Pentax K10 D) and later
bought a compact digital camera (Ricoh GR). I used film 1983--2008
(Ricoh KR5 Super). I probably have about 1500 photos made with film. I
still have the negatives, like the 10 × 15 prints in plastic envelopes
in a ring binder.

I want to scan the film (presumably both easier and better than scanning
the prints).

What resolution should I choose?

What is the resulting size of the JPEG file?

Should I save some raw format as well? If so, which one? What would be
the file size?

I notice that the prints from the first couple of rolls of film have
faded, but those after still look OK---probably a difference in quality
of the prints rather than age (since the difference in age is only a few
weeks for prints almost 35 years old). Should a standard scan of the
negatives result in correct colours? Or does some correction need to be
done? (I used mostly Kodak ISO 200 film, occasionally 400 or 100 and/or
AGFA.)

I have practically no experience with digital image processing. I would
thus prefer to get this done in a shop, rather than doing it myself.
What would be a fair price for scanning all the negatives? If some
colour correction needs to be done, is this something that I could
expect a shop to do?