Old June 11th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
daveFaktor

Default low light movie works better than low light still photos why?

John Navas wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:36:33 +1000, daveFaktor
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:56:02 +1000, daveFaktor
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:
Another solution, less radical and expensive, is to upgrade to a compact
camera with better low light performance. My FZ28 does a good job of
low light stage photography. http://i42.tinypic.com/2wfsqo6.jpg
Wow! The light was so low it blew the the highlights on old grey haired
bloke in the background. Now *THAT* is low light photography at it's best!
Nonsense.

It only goes to demonstrate the narrow dynamic range of Panasonic
sensors. Try as they might, Panasonic can't do much about with their
current (and future it world seem) technology.

Likewise nonsense.

Had you (1) an open mind and (2) bothered to look at the EXIF data, you
would have seen that this handheld image was actually a remarkable
achievement.

If you qualified that with "for a P&S" you might have gained some
credibility. The fact is John - and one you consistently fail to
recognise - is that just the miniature sensors in P&S cameras guarantee
a noisey picture. 3 or 4 other factors work against them producing low
noise images too.

There are some things a P&S can do that a DSLR is either hard pushed to
achieve or can't achieve at all but noise control is not one of them.
The only reason your camera can take a low light picture at all is the
extremely low shutter speeds you can use. We used to use FZ50
Panasonic's at 1/15th (hand held) for low light shots. There's examples
he
http://www.d-mac.info/previews/scott-katrina/

That doesn't mean I'd use one for action capture or critical work where
large prints are expected. Like this one. The canvas print is over six
feet wide. A totally impossible shot for a P&S.

http://www.d-mac.info/examples/HDRatdawn.htm

The whole issue is not about fanatical devotion to a particular brand
because you happen to own one but choosing the right tool for the job. I
make movies in natural light, with a D90 set at ISO 3200. Maybe a RED
camera might equal it's ability but I won't be shelling out $60,000 for
one when a D90 does just as well - *FOR MY USE*.