Old September 26th 17, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

for me, it's about 4 seconds cold launch from an ssd. i did not time it
to 100th second accuracy, though.

I've got an SSD and from the first click to being ready to edit was
about 13 seconds.

then something is *very* wrong.

is it connected via usb 2?

Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB [Hard drive] (512.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n
0025_3856_61B0_14D5.

that doesn't answer the question.

It's on the motherboard.

no it isn't.

your ssd is a separate and removable device connected to the logic
board, which means it's not as fast as it could be if it actually was
part of the logicboard, as it is on some macs.

While LR is on the SSD the images and the catalog are on spinning
rust.

the catalog should also be on the ssd.

ideally, the images you're currently working on should also be on ssd
but it's ok if they're not.

Also, I have just discovered that using the GPU for processing was not
turned on. Turning that on reduced the start up to about 7 seconds.

enabling the gpu shouldn't affect launch time, but 7 seconds is still
very slow.

is that a cold launch or a hot launch?

a hot launch will be much faster and that's probably the difference
you're seeing. reboot the computer so that it's a cold launch both
times and then compare.