Old November 14th 18, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Macbook users, cellphone addicts; beware the charger

On 14/11/2018 16:45, nospam wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

On my android phone, by default the USB port will only accept power. You
have to pull up a window and positively enable data transfer.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/08/beware-of-juice-jacking/
3One attendee claimed his phone had USB transfer off and he would be
fine. Â*When he plugged in, it instantly went into USB transfer mode,2
Markus recalls.Â* 3He then sheepishly said,Â* ‘Guess that setting
doesn1t work.'2

OK so that's what the article said. I wonder what sort of cleverness it
is doing if the phone *really did* have the transfer turned off. Was it
perhaps exploiting a bluetooth or wifi vulnerability?

it likely used a usb exploit to re-enable it.

accessing data on android devices is relatively easy. for ios devices,
it's basically impossible.

That suggests they are not just accessing data, but a system function
which IMHO is much more serious.

It would be nice to think Google would work quite hard at patching such
vulnerabilities. Life has become far simpler since USB became a standard
for charging all sorts of devices. At a quick count I have well over a
dozen, and I am sure I have forgotten some.